Who are PyLadies?
An international group of people trying to involve women in the Python programming community.
About 10-15% of programmers are women. That's very little. It's not that women are stupid or
awkward or have no logical thinking. They are discouraged by other things;
a lots of small details that create a not very friendly environment.
PyLadies are trying to solve this problem, for example by creating an environment
that is more enjoyable for new programmers.
PyLadies in Czechia
- 2012 - there was a Django workshop (Python framework for web pages) during the Ruby on Rails
(another programming language) conference.
- 2013 - The first PyLadies course (for free) in Brno -- the first course that had own
- 2015 - this course also started in Prague
- 2016 - PyLadies in Ostrava
- 2018 - PyLadies in Pilsen, Hradec Kralove, and the first English (translated) version of the
Czech course - the first open-source materials (at least as we know) by volunteers from CA Technologies.
What will you learn here?
- Basic programming: variables, data types, conditions, loops, functions, exceptions, modules, ...
- Skills connected with programming: command line, version control, collaboration, and open-source
- Games: text games and also some graphic games
What shouldn't you expect?
- an IT course
- PyLadies do not require knowledge of advanced mathematics or graph theory.
If you are interested in these topics, we recommend studying computer science instead of
attending this course.
- This is also not a course like Django Girls, RailsGirls, or Czechitas that are focused on
creating web pages.
- And finally, PyLadies are not the course - PyLadies are the ones preparing the course :)
- We are here in our free time - volunteering
- We will help you if you have a problem
- We shouldn't touch your keyboard (so each time we try to do this, you should slap our fingers :) )
- How to contact us: Marketa.Muzikova(at)ca.com, Vsevolod.Khanin(at)ca.com, Atul.Sharma(at)ca.com,
- Join our Facebook group where you can
ask us anything.
Red and Green post-its
During our lessons we will use red and green post-its. When we are doing an exercise and
you finish it successfully -- stick the green paper on the right upper corner of your screen
so everyone can see it. If however you encounter ANY problem, stick the red (pink, actually)
post-it on your screen and someone will help you.
- RED POST-IT: I have a problem, please help me!
- GREEN POST-IT: I have successfully finished the exercise :)
We won't continue until everyone has a green post-it on their laptop's screen.
What to do after this course?
- You will need to practice a lot so you don't forget everything
- At this time, we can't promise anything, we want to do some workshops on advanced topics,
but as I said -- we can't promise anything
- You can also practice and learn some advanced stuff (e. g. algorithms, data structures)
- There are also a lot of games where you practice by "coding" a game (the beginnings are
not really hard, they will give you a foundation) - e.g. Coding game,
Code combat, Checkio, Cyber Dojo,
- Once a month there is Pyvo, some lightning talks are in English
- You can go to PyWorking, but it's mostly in Czech
- If you have a project in mind, you can go to Meetups (right side
of the page) where surely someone speaks English
- Or you can read some books - I recommend to follow Humble Bundle where
they once offered a bundle with books, videos, and some software for Python development, or books about how
to develop games with Python. Currently (25.9. - 9.10.2018) there is a bundle
that includes the great book "Automate the Boring Stuff with Python" for just €0.75, or you buy many more
books about different programming languages including "Python Crash Course: A Hands-On, Project-Based Introduction
to Programming" for €12.74 (this one is on Amazon for €19.49).
And now, the coaches will introduce themselves. (Once they finish, it will be your turn, so
think about what you want to say -- your name, why you want to learn python, ...?)
Toto je stránka lekce z kurzu, který probíhá nebo proběhl naživo s instruktorem.